Inter Library Loans (ILLs)
Inter Library Loan Policy
Interlibrary Loan Services are limited to anyone with a Val Verde County Library card in good standing.
You may fill out a request form at the Circulation Desk. (See Fees and Charges)
To ensure that you receive your requested material on time, please submit requests at least two weeks before you need the materials.
Loan periods for Interlibrary Loan items are determined by the lending library. The average loan period is approximately two to three weeks.
To request a renewal of your Interlibrary Loan material, you must make the "request renewal" before the due date determined by the lending library. Renewal requests must be processed by ILL staff and are not guaranteed. All renewals are at the discretion of the lending library.
Patrons may have a maximum of two (2) items out at any one time through Interlibrary Loan. The limit applies to any combination of Books and Articles.
Items Available for Loan
The following items can usually be requested via Interlibrary Loan:
- Some dissertations and theses
- Journal articles
The following items cannot be requested via Interlibrary Loan:
- Titles owned by the Val Verde County Library - if an item you want is checked out, you can place a reserve on it at the circulation desk
- Most textbooks - most libraries place their textbooks on reserves counters, which means they cannot be loaned out
- Most recently published books - Books published within the current calendar year are often not available through Interlibrary Loan. The newer the book, the fewer libraries will own it, and many libraries will not loan out very new books to other Libraries.
- Some dissertations and theses - due to copyright restrictions placed by the authors
- Entire issues of periodicals such as scholarly journals - please request the individual article that you require
- Reference materials, rare books, archival materials
- Audiovisual materials, including DVDs and audiobooks
- Software, hardware, and E-books
Fees and Charges
There is a $3.50 charge associated with borrowing materials through Interlibrary Loan.
Late Fees for overdue Interlibrary Loan books are $0.10 per day.
Getting Your Materials
You will be notified by phone when your books arrive at the Val Verde County Library, and they can be picked up at the Circulation Desk (book check-out desk). You will need to present your Library card and pay the $3.50 fee in order to check out the materials once they have arrived. Driver's Licenses are not accepted.
Do not remove any wrappers included with the Interlibrary Loan materials borrowed. This ensures the staff knows the materials must returned to the lending libraries.
The fine for overdue Interlibrary Loan books is $0.10 per day. Overdue fines for Interlibrary Loan work the same way as overdue fines for items checked out of the Val Verde County Library, and you are required to pay these fines in the normal way at the circulation (book check-out) desk.